Monday, March 22, 2010

John 13

Today, I am reading John 13. I invite you to open your Bible and read along with me or find it online here.


Here are the verses/thoughts that stood out to me...

John 13

14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet.

15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.


In the midst of this same moment, Luke writes about an argument the disciples were having, “Then they began to argue among themselves about who would be the greatest among them.” (Luke 22:24) You can see why Jesus felt the need to provide a visual example of what He wants from us ... service and humility.


34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.


Jesus was raising the stake here. Before, Jesus reiterated God’s command to “‘Love your neighbor as yourself” (Mark 12:31, Leviticus 19:18); and now, He is teaching that we should love ... “as I have loved you.” That’s different. My love is corrupted by my selfishness. His love is sacrificial and unconditional.


35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.


It isn’t the number of times we go to church or the number of verses in the Bible we have memorized that prove to the world we are followers of Jesus. It is the way we treat each other. A reminder that actions always speak louder than words.

No comments: