Friday, February 26, 2010

John 4

Today, I am reading John 4. I invite you to open your Bible and read along with me or find it online here.


Here are the verses/thoughts that stood out to me...

John 4

9 The woman was surprised, for Jews refuse to have anything to do with Samaritans. She said to Jesus, “You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. Why are you asking me for a drink?”


It is sad that acceptance offered through kindness, and because of grace, is so surprising.


11 “But sir, you don’t have a rope or a bucket,” she said, “and this well is very deep. Where would you get this living water?”


As I read this verse, I was reminded of the many times I have narrow-mindedly questioned God’s ability to do something that seemed illogical to me ... not stopping to think that God looks at life differently.


23 But the time is coming - indeed it’s here now - when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.


Apparently, there were some people in Jesus’ day trying to confine worship to a specific time and place. Jesus was teaching the idea that worship was spiritual and meant to be expressed in every aspect and every moment of our life. Others, in Jesus’ day, were trying to conform worship to fit their life. Jesus was re-teaching the fact that true worship all about God, not us.


34 Then Jesus explained: “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.”


An interesting thought ... true fulfillment, spiritual fulfillment comes from obediently following God.

No comments: