Tuesday, March 16, 2010

John 11

Today, I am reading John 11. I invite you to open your Bible and read along with me or find it online here.


Here are the verses/thoughts that stood out to me...

John 11

21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died.

22 But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask.”


I appreciate Martha’s faith in the face of such loss. You never know how you will react to a tragic situation, until it is forced upon you; but this is the way I pray I would respond.


25 Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.

26 Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die. Do you believe this, Martha?”


An extremely important statement and an even more important question.


27 “Yes, Lord,” she told him. “I have always believed you are the Messiah, the Son of God, the one who has come into the world from God.”


This is possibly the most important verse in this book so I am going to pause right here in the middle of the chapter (we’ll finish it on Thursday).

If you have never made this confession in your life, please email me (jeff@myeastside.cc). I would love to talk with you about it.

If you have, I encourage you to reflect on that moment when you first experienced grace and say a simple prayer. Here is the one I prayed, “Father, thank you for Jesus and the grace you offer through Him. I pray that you would help (a friend of yours that doesn’t know Jesus) come to know Jesus the way I do and accept the same gift of grace that I have.”


No comments: