Tuesday, March 30, 2010

John 18

Today, I am reading John 18. I invite you to open your Bible and read along with me or find it online here.


Here are the verses/thoughts that stood out to me...

John 18

4 Jesus fully realized all that was going to happen to him, so he stepped forward to meet them. “Who are you looking for?” he asked.

5 “Jesus the Nazarene,” they replied. “I Am he,” Jesus said.


Another reminder that Jesus was in complete control of His own sacrifice. I pray I remember that the next time I face a challenging situation ... Jesus is in complete control.


10 Then Simon Peter drew a sword and slashed off the right ear of Malchus, the high priest’s slave.


I, like Peter, have sometimes carelessly hurt others with my attempts to “defend” Jesus. Instead of careless defenders, Jesus needs followers who provide examples of the same grace and humility and control and trust that He displayed in this moment.


25 Meanwhile, as Simon Peter was standing by the fire warming himself, they asked him again, “You’re not one of his disciples, are you?” He denied it, saying, “No, I am not.”


Peter catches a lot of flak for being the one to deny following Jesus; but I know there have been many times when I have done things or said things that express a similar denial.


37 Pilate said, “So you are a king?” Jesus responded, “You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.

38 “What is truth?” Pilate asked. Then he went out again to the people and told them, “He is not guilty of any crime.


It saddens me every time I read this passage ... watching Pilate cynically reject Jesus’ offer of truth. I am sad for Pilate; but even more so, I am saddened by the friends that I have that are currently turning away from that same truth. I pray they will learn to love the truth and recognize Jesus as the one that offers it.


No comments: