Monday, October 26, 2009

Continues

Last week, we finished a letter Paul wrote to his protege Timothy. Today, we begin a second letter. Many scholars believe this is the final letter (2 Timothy) Paul wrote before he was executed. I invite you to open your Bible and read along with me or find it online here.



2 Timothy 1

5 I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.

6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.

7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.



Continues. I appreciate the reminder that we play an important role in passing the faith from one generation to the next. Whether it is with kids, grandkids, nieces/nephews, kids in the neighborhood, our friends’ kids, kids in the children’s ministry or students in the middle school and high school ministry, we all play a role in helping the next generation become men and women of great faith. How are you helping make sure it continues?

1 comment:

lilbitAmy said...

You know when my grandfather passed away a couple of years ago, I spoke at his funeral about this very subject. You see, my grandfather was a deacon in our church and my paternal grandfather, who passed away nearly 30 years ago, was pastor of our church for some time.
I reminded my family, especially my cousins to make sure that the legacy that our grandfathers left behind continued through us and onto our children.
It was my maternal grandfather who helped me come to know Jesus as my Saviour. One day while standing out on his front porch, he asked me where I would go when I died. I told him I wanted to go to Heaven. He said, "I know, but where are you going to go?" I answered that I was going to hell. Two weeks later, I dropped to my knees on the church alter and asked Jesus to come inside my heart. I have always had a sense of joy even in the darkest of times since that day. I know my prayer was answered and without my family to guide me on the path. I don't know if I would have been able to say that.