Monday, April 27, 2009

Leads

Over the past two or three centuries, the speed of life has increased exponentially. Even in the past couple of decades, our communication has moved from mail to faxes to emails to instant messages. This past weekend, Jonathan talked about how those “improvements” have actually slowed down our ability to truly communicate and build extraordinary relationships. This week, we are going to look at some of the passages he discussed and see if we can slow down long enough to move our relationships out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary.

If one of the keys to having extraordinary relationships is slowing down, here is how we are going to start the week ... take a deep breath. Seriously. Take another one. Now, read through this passage slowly and allow the words David uses to describe his relationship with God to sink in. Remember, slowly...


Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.


Leads. I love the words David uses to describe what he has experienced in his journey with God ... rest, peaceful, renews, close, comfort, goodness, love. Who wouldn’t want that?! The great thing is David also reveals the key to experiencing those beautiful words in our journey by offering two very important words ... leads and guides. Over the next couple of days, we are going to look at some habits that will help us be better followers; but I want to leave you with one last word that David offers ... pursue. If you are like me, you have experienced moments in your journey when you wondered if God had given up on you. The good news is He hasn’t and He won’t.

No comments: