Tuesday, April 28, 2009

If

This week, we are talking about experiencing extraordinary relationships by looking at our relationship with God. Yesterday, we revisited one of the most famous passages in the entire Bible and were reminded that we have to let God lead. Over the next couple of days, we are going to revisit another well known passage ... the Ten Commandments ... to get a better view of how we should relate to God and each other. Exodus (the second book in the Bible) provides us with the story of the life of Moses, God’s rescue of the nation of Israel from 400 years of slavery in Egypt and God’s adoption of the nation of Israel.


Exodus 19
1 Exactly two months after the Israelites left Egypt, they arrived in the wilderness of Sinai.
2 After breaking camp at Rephidim, they came to the wilderness of Sinai and set up camp there at the base of Mount Sinai.
3 Then Moses climbed the mountain to appear before God. The Lord called to him from the mountain and said, “Give these instructions to the family of Jacob; announce it to the descendants of Israel:
4 ‘You have seen what I did to the Egyptians. You know how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.
5 Now if you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all the peoples on earth; for all the earth belongs to me.
6 And you will be my kingdom of priests, my holy nation.’ This is the message you must give to the people of Israel.”
7 So Moses returned from the mountain and called together the elders of the people and told them everything the Lord had commanded him.
8 And all the people responded together, “We will do everything the Lord has commanded.” So Moses brought the people’s answer back to the Lord.


If. I sometimes feel like the Ten Commandments get a bad rap because they come across as this list of rules that God demands everyone to follow ... like he is some dictator demanding his way. The reality is that the Israelites had a choice ... if. He didn’t say, “I rescued you. I saved you, now obey me!” He said, “I rescued you. I saved you, if you are interested, I would like to have a relationship with you.” The Israelites said yes. As we will see tomorrow, the “Ten Commandments” then became the boundaries of that relationship; but the relationship was always a choice. The same goes for you and me. God is offering us a relationship through Jesus’ sacrifice. He has saved us; but the choice is always ours. Our relationship with God is extraordinary because He extended grace to us before we even asked. Ordinary relationships demand respect and equality. Extraordinary relationships offer grace and extend mercy.

No comments: