Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Persecution

I am currently reading through 2 Timothy. I invite you to open your Bible and read along with me or find it online here.



2 Timothy 3

10 But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance.

11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra - but the Lord rescued me from all of it.

12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.



Persecution. I appreciate Paul’s honesty in this part of his letter. It is an aspect of following Jesus that isn’t always talked about; but the truth of the matter is, when you choose to accept the forgiveness offered through Jesus and live a life that honors God, you will experience challenges. Jesus described Satan as a thief whose “purpose is to steal and kill and destroy”. It doesn’t mean God has abandoned you. Paul even refers to being rescued; but it will require growth in our faith, patience, love and endurance.


No comments: