Thursday, October 15, 2009

Respect

In case you hadn’t noticed, I have made a slight change to the blog. Instead of listing an entire passage, I am simply highlighting the one or two verses that stand out to me as I read through a book. I encourage you to open your Bible and read along with me. I am currently in 1 Timothy 6. You can find an online link to that chapter here. Today, Paul offers Timothy some instruction that would seem to be irrelevant for us.


1 Timothy 6

1 All slaves should show full respect for their masters so they will not bring shame on the name of God and his teaching.

2 If the masters are believers, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. Those slaves should work all the harder because their efforts are helping other believers who are well loved.



Respect. Dr. Thomas Constable writes, “What Paul said to slaves here is applicable to employees today.” That thought changed my perspective on these verses. I was about to pass over them because they didn’t seem to apply to me. Instead, it has become another reminder that every arena of my life should be a reflection of God ... in my home, with my friends and especially at my work.

No comments: