Thursday, August 20, 2009

Better

We have been working our way through the four letters Paul wrote while imprisoned in Rome. We have already looked at Colossians and Philemon. Today, we begin a letter written to Jesus followers living in the city of Philippi. Paul began this church on his second missionary journey (check out Acts 16:11-40). One of the things I love most about this letter is that it is primarily positive ... it provides a glimpse of a healthy church. Today, Paul offers an abstract thought concerning an absolute.



Philippians 1

20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.

21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better.

22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better.

23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me.

24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.

25 Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith.

26 And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.



Better. Remember, Paul was in prison awaiting a trial and an eventual sentence ... a sentence that could easily lead to his execution. When you come face-to-face with death, it causes you to take stock in life. For some, the thought of death makes them angry at God. For some, the thought of death makes life seem futile. For Paul, it did the opposite ... it made him excited to be with Jesus and it challenged him to continue helping people with their journey. How does the thought of death make you feel?

No comments: