Thursday, July 2, 2009

Weakness

Back to Paul’s letter ... Today, he offers another oxymoron.


2 Corinthians 12
6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message,
7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.
8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.
9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


Weakness. The thought that stood out to me was, “My power works best in weakness.” It reminded my that I am passionately focused on God when I need Him greatly ... when I am weak ... when I am humbled. At the same time, I am easily distracted from God when things are going well ... when it appears that I am strong. It makes me wonder what seasons of life are more valuable ... the seasons filled with challenges that draw me closer to God and teach me true strength or the seasons filled with peace that see me predictably drift away from God and lead to true weakness.

No comments: