Friday, July 31, 2009

Transform

In the first 11 chapters of this letter, Paul has explained all that God has done for us. Today, he begins recommending an appropriate response.


Romans 12
1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice - the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.
2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.



Transform. I have to confess ... I love these two verses. They compose one of my favorite passages in the Story of God. I love how his response almost begins with a sigh ... “And so”. I love the fact that Paul “pleads” instead of commands. I love the way he defines “worship” ... surrendering our whole lives to God as a “living ... sacrifice”. I love the challenge to not “copy ... this world”. And most importantly for me, I love the hope that he offers ... the hope that God can “transform” me. I plead with you to reread it a couple of time. Then, offer a short, simple prayer, “Father, teach me how to worship you with my life ... show me how to avoid the life this world offers ... transform me.”

No comments: