Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pass

Every Wednesday, we review the previous weekend’s message. This past weekend, Jonathan kicked off a new series called “Entourage” by talking about the need to have a protégé. In the message, he referenced a letter written by Paul (one of the early church leaders) to one of his protégés.


2 Timothy 1
3 Timothy, I thank God for you - the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did. Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.
4 I long to see you again, for I remember your tears as we parted. And I will be filled with joy when we are together again.
5 I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.
6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you.
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

2 Timothy 2
2 You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.


Pass. I love the phrase “pass them on”. Everyone needs a protégé ... someone they “teach these truths to”. As Jonathan said in the message, we need to be investing in them, encouraging them, making ourselves available to them and truly caring for them. Who is your protégé? You may think you don’t know enough. No one does. Teach them what you do know. As you learn more, teach more. The key is taking the initiative to let them know you care. If you don’t have one, pray about it. Ask God to reveal to you someone that you could be investing in.

No comments: