Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Counsel

Every Wednesday, we review the previous weekend’s message. This past weekend, Jonathan continued our Entourage series by talking about our need to have a mentor. Here are some of the verses he referenced in the message.


Matthew 11
28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

Proverbs 19
20 Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life.

Proverbs 27
9 The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.


Counsel. We all need at least one person that is a little further along in our journey that can provide us some counsel on what to expect and how to handle challenging seasons and difficult decisions. In the message, Jonathan mentioned words like honesty and humility as guides for identifying a mentor. I also like the one included in this last verse ... “heartfelt”. You need someone that is genuine and sincere in their concern for you and your journey. One other quick reminder, part of the process of identifying a mentor (or any member of your entourage) is offering to serve as a mentor which should encourage us to incorporate honesty and humility and sincerity into our journey.

No comments: