Thursday, April 2, 2009

Everything

We are currently revisiting the story of Jesus as written by Luke. Our goal is to complete Luke’s account with the RESET series. In order to do that, we will periodically skip over a passage. Today, Jesus raises the bar for our journey.


Luke 21
1 While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. 2 Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. 3 “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. 4 For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”


Everything. Every time I read this story, I am fascinated by the phrase she “has given everything she has”. I know the context of the comment is financial giving; but it seems to me that it encompasses more than that. For me, it has become my goal ... to give everything I have ... my heart, my mind, my family, my finances, my future ... to surrender everything to Him. It is what I like to call the “no matter what” phase in our journey as Jesus followers. Am I there? No. So the question becomes, what can I give Him today?

No comments: