Friday, March 27, 2009

Quiet

We are currently revisiting the story of Jesus as written by Luke. Our goal is to complete Luke’s account with the RESET series. In order to do that, we will periodically skip over a passage. Today, Jesus provides a great example of compassion.


Luke 18
35 As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind beggar was sitting beside the road. 36 When he heard the noise of a crowd going past, he asked what was happening. 37 They told him that Jesus the Nazarene was going by. 38 So he began shouting, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 39 “Be quiet!” the people in front yelled at him. But he only shouted louder, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 40 When Jesus heard him, he stopped and ordered that the man be brought to him. As the man came near, Jesus asked him, 41 “What do you want me to do for you?” “Lord,” he said, “I want to see!” 42 And Jesus said, “All right, receive your sight! Your faith has healed you.” 43 Instantly the man could see, and he followed Jesus, praising God. And all who saw it praised God, too.


Quiet. I love the persistence of the man. I love Jesus’ question. I was bothered by “the people in front” who were yelling at the man. Were they wanting something from Jesus and wanted to be first? Did they think he wasn’t worthy of Jesus’ attention? Did they think Jesus was too busy and wouldn’t want to be bothered by him? Did they just not like the guy? Why would anyone want to get in the way of someone else experiencing the presence of Jesus ... the healing power of Jesus? Before I get too judgmental, I need to remember that there have been times that I have been too tired or too busy or too selfish or too annoyed to express compassion. My prayer is that, in the future ... when the opportunity to express compassion presents itself, Jesus would quiet all the reasons yelling inside my head and enable my heart to express compassion anyways.

No comments: