Thursday, November 13, 2008

Power

We are making our way through a letter Paul wrote to Jesus followers in Corinth. Today, Paul reminds us about a very important (but sadly underused) source of power.


1 Corinthians 2
1 When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan. 2 For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness - timid and trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. 5 I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.


Power. I hope this passage encourages you when it comes to sharing your faith. Part of our responsibility, as Jesus followers (and one of our passions at Eastside), is to reach out to the people God has placed in our “circle of influence” (our family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc.) and share with them our life story ... what we have “seen and heard” (check out
Acts 4:18-20) in our relationship with God. I think we are sometimes afraid to take this step in our journey because we don’t think we are wise enough or clever enough or persuasive enough; but as you can see they aren’t prerequisites. What God is really looking for is humility and graciousness and compassion ... and a little preparation. I would encourage you to take some time this weekend and write out your life story. What was life like before you experienced Jesus? What was it like when you accepted God’s offer of grace? What has life been like since you began following Him? I hope what you will find is a reminder that it wasn’t some creative presentation that transformed your life; but the power of God. I think what you will find is the courage and conviction to share your life story with someone you care about ... so that they can experience the power of God for themselves.

2 comments:

lilbitAmy said...

Before I came to Eastside, I spent twelve years of my life away from a church of any kind. Mostly because I feel the church I went to engaged in destructive behaviors like gossip and pointing out people's wrongdoings in front of the whole congregation. I never doubted God. I doubted the God that they spoke of. That was how I felt. I thought they must know a different God than the one I know.
I thought I would not bother with churches. I would read my Bible and walk with the Lord without that type of negativity in my spiritual life.
Then, my oldest son started asking a lot of questions. Some I could answer. Others I struggled to answer. It was his request to go to church that led us to Eastside. I don't believe it was a coincidence. I can't tell you how much more spiritual growth I have experienced since I first walked through the doors nearly three years ago.
When people ask me about the church I go to, I don't just tell them the name of the church. I tell them about how God led me there. That is all it takes. Just speak from your heart. God will do the rest.

Anonymous said...

We all have a story but how does Jesus receive the glory if we don’t tell our story. Let us experience His power of the Holy Spirit that Jesus gave us, which shows His glory by sharing our story of the repentance we experienced by coming to know His grace and mercy, which is the glory of the story.