Friday, October 10, 2008

Developed

Today, we are going to do things a little different. I am going to ask you to share your word. Before you read, say a short prayer and ask God to reveal to you the one word (thought) that he wants you to “hear” as you read.
As you read, remember these two things …
- Paul’s main issue, throughout this letter, has been that you didn’t have to become a Jew (specifically be circumcised) to be considered a Jesus follower. You become a Jesus follower (a child of God) by simply believing in Jesus.
- Paul was also concerned about new Jesus followers being more concerned about keeping the law than expressing grace. He wasn’t trying to ignore the law. He wanted them to follow the law; but as a response to grace (out of gratitude and respect and trust), not in search of grace (as if somehow obeying enough laws would earn them the grace they had already freely received). It is a completely different mindset. People who live by grace become more humble and are more concerned about expressing love and kindness. People who live by the law become more prideful and are more concerned about making sure everyone following the rules.



Galatians 4
1 Think of it this way. If a father dies and leaves an inheritance for his young children, those children are not much better off than slaves until they grow up, even though they actually own everything their father had. 2 They have to obey their guardians until they reach whatever age their father set. 3 And that’s the way it was with us before Christ came. We were like children; we were slaves to the basic spiritual principles of this world. 4 But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. 5 God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. 6 And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, “Abba, Father.” 7 Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir.
8 Before you Gentiles knew God, you were slaves to so-called gods that do not even exist. 9 So now that you know God (or should I say, now that God knows you), why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual principles of this world? 10 You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years. 11 I fear for you. Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing. 12 Dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to live as I do in freedom from these things, for I have become like you Gentiles - free from those laws. You did not mistreat me when I first preached to you. 13 Surely you remember that I was sick when I first brought you the Good News. 14 But even though my condition tempted you to reject me, you did not despise me or turn me away. No, you took me in and cared for me as though I were an angel from God or even Christ Jesus himself. 15 Where is that joyful and grateful spirit you felt then? I am sure you would have taken out your own eyes and given them to me if it had been possible. 16 Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth? 17 Those false teachers are so eager to win your favor, but their intentions are not good. They are trying to shut you off from me so that you will pay attention only to them. 18 If someone is eager to do good things for you, that’s all right; but let them do it all the time, not just when I’m with you. 19 Oh, my dear children! I feel as if I’m going through labor pains for you again, and they will continue until Christ is fully developed in your lives. 20 I wish I were with you right now so I could change my tone. But at this distance I don’t know how else to help you.


Send me your word (and why it stood out to you if you are willing). C
lick on “things” below. I know it is a little awkward and a little intimidating; but I know you can do it. Take a step toward letting Jesus be more fully developed in your life.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Developed. My passion is that Jesus would be fully developed in my life and in your life. This daily exercise of asking God to reveal himself to us and reading his story and listening for him to “speak” is one way that development takes place. It is why I am so passionate about you giving it a try.

Anonymous said...

Grateful. To act obediently in gratefulness is freedom. To act obediently in fear is slavery. God's power could demand obedience. Instead, God's love sets us free in gratefulness. When I realize the depth of this kind of love I am even more grateful. What an amazing God we serve!

Tess said...

Inheritance. Everything of God is our inheritance through the grace of Jesus Christ. Just as an earthly father leaves an inheritance to his children so our Heavenly Father gives us His inheritance through adoption. There is nothing more we have to do... we are no longer slaves to the law but are free from the law which equals grace. God's inheritance sets us free. We no longer have to act and speak and think as we once did because he has given us all of Him. The inheritance of God gives us all we need to sustain us in this life. There should be no fear in our lives for the consequence of fear will enslave us once again.

jstephens said...

Slaves. My word was slaves....slaves to the spiritual principles of the world. How often do I find myself a slave to what the world says I should do, should have, should feel........

God gave His Son so we could be in a relationship with him. He adopted us as His children. Wow, what an awesome thought. He loves us that much! I strive to focus on God FIRST......the world can fall way down on my list!!

Anonymous said...

Children...We are all Children to God whether we are almost 16 like me or nearing our 98th birthday like my great grandfatherit makes no differnce...We're still his Children.

Anonymous said...

Adopt---everytime I see that word I realize that I was chosen by God to be His child. What a blessing to be chosen and adopted into the family!

Rob said...

Freedom. The thought that Jesus came to free us from living through sets of laws and giving us the ability to be saved by living through grace.

Anonymous said...

The key word I see in these scriptures is GRACE. If men are lost apart from God’s grace, they are equally lost. It doesn’t matter whether one is an unbelieving Jew or an unbelieving Gentile, they are equally lost in that both will spend eternity apart from Christ.

Both the Christian Jew and the Christian Gentile have an equal standing before God, righteous in His sight, since the righteousness of each is the same—the righteousness of Christ, imputed to the believer. Because grace is unmerited favor, the merits of one man do not give him any superior standing before God because all of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.

Please put me on the daily email.

Anonymous said...

Condition. Condition is the word that speaks to me. I am thankful that God accepts and loves me regardless of my condition and that he gave the ultimate gift of his son to improve my condition. I pray that I am mindful of this gift every day, and that God helps me to be worthy of this precious gift.