Friday, August 29, 2008

Own

Yesterday, Paul was falsely accused and attacked; before being “rescued” … and arrested by a Roman commander.

Acts 21
37 As Paul was about to be taken inside, he said to the commander, “May I have a word with you?” “Do you know Greek?” the commander asked, surprised. 38 “Aren’t you the Egyptian who led a rebellion some time ago and took 4,000 members of the Assassins out into the desert?” 39 “No,” Paul replied, “I am a Jew and a citizen of Tarsus in Cilicia, which is an important city. Please, let me talk to these people.” 40 The commander agreed, so Paul stood on the stairs and motioned to the people to be quiet. Soon a deep silence enveloped the crowd, and he addressed them in their own language, Aramaic.”
Acts 22
“Brothers and esteemed fathers,” Paul said, “listen to me as I offer my defense.” 2 When they heard him speaking in their own language, the silence was even greater.


Own. Our world is filled with mistrust and miscommunication and misunderstanding. You can see, in this part of the story, that not a lot has changed over the past 2,000 years. Paul’s small gesture, of speaking to the commander and to the crowd in their own respective languages, was an attempt to reverse some of those “mis”es. Unfortunately, you will find out that his gesture doesn’t provide the happy ending we are always hoping for (sorry if I spoiled it for you). As Jesus followers, we are called to reflect the love (check out John 13:34-35) and peace (check out Romans 12:18) and holiness (check out Hebrews 12:14-15) of God, not the mistrust and miscommunication and misunderstanding of this world … even if it doesn’t reverse the “mis”es or provide the happy ending.


I hope you have a safe, relaxing Labor Day weekend.
I will see you Tuesday.

No comments: