Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Concluded

We are currently following Paul’s second missionary journey. There is a link in the “sites” section that will allow you to interactively track his journey.


Acts 16
6 Next Paul and Silas traveled through the area of Phrygia and Galatia, because the Holy Spirit had prevented them from preaching the word in the province of Asia at that time. 7 Then coming to the borders of Mysia, they headed north for the province of Bithynia, but again the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them to go there. 8 So instead, they went on through Mysia to the seaport of Troas. 9 That night Paul had a vision: A man from Macedonia in northern Greece was standing there, pleading with him, “Come over to Macedonia and help us!” 10 So we decided to leave for Macedonia at once, having concluded that God was calling us to preach the Good News there.


Concluded. Three different times in this very short part of the story, Paul and his friends were guided by God, so much so that the last time they concluded … they reached a final decision. When I read this part of the story (and other parts like it), I nearly laugh at the impossibility of this type of guidance (this conclusive clarity) being given to me and … I nearly cry at the sadness of that reality. Then, I am reminded that I share in that same spirit (check out 1 Corinthians 12:12,13). I have concluded that the problem isn't a lack of guidance on God's part ... it is a lack of listening on my part. We live in a loud, distracting, chaotic world that makes silence and solitude seem foreign. I have concluded that I need to work on reversing that mindset … by rereading a great book … "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster (there is a link in the “books” section). I read this book about 10 years ago and I remember gaining some great insights on drawing near to God that I have misplaced along the journey. You may not come to the same conclusion; but I pray you will stop long enough to conclude something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I was reading these words in Acts 16:6-10, I concluded that Luke went from telling about Paul’s second trip to being a part of the journey. Look at verses 6, 7, 8, it was about them, in verse 10 Luke concluded that God was calling us to preach the Good News.

I would like to conclude that our text is teaching us about divine guidance. My point is that we should look for divine guidance from a variety of indicators. First and foremost, we should be guided by the Word of God.